Education officials led by Permanent Secretary Belio Kipsang are expected to visit Kwale schools next week after the county recorded low turnout since schools reopened on Monday.
They are expected to visit the sub counties of Msambweni, Lungalunga, Kinango and Matuga.
Data shows that only 58% of learners have reported back to schools prompting the education officials to intervene.
Already the government has started a massive for learners who have not yet reported to schools, warning parents of dire consequences.
On Wednesday the government announced its intent to hunt for learners who are yet to report to their learning institutions.
The government also gave parents until the end of this week to ensure all learners return to school.
Speaking at Vinuni Primary school in Matuga, Kwale County, Education Chief Administrative Secretary (CAS) Zack Kinuthia said starting Monday the government will mount a search for students who have not returned and action will be taken against their parents or guardians.
Kinuthia further announced that all KCSE and KCPE candidates who had registered for the national exams in private schools that have closed down permanently due to the COVID-19 pandemic, will be registered afresh to sit for the exams in public schools that they have joined.
He added that candidates who have moved to public schools from private institutions due to financial constraints will sit for the exams at their respective examination centres as long as they are operating.
“If a candidate had registered in a private school that is still open and they have joined a public school, they will be allowed to study in the public school but they will go back and sit for the exam in the private school they had registered because they are still recognized as exam centers,” he said.
In Msambweni, the Sub-county Deputy County Commissioner James Koskey said so far 82% of students in the region have reported back to school.
Msambweni MP Feisal Bader called on the government to prioritize distribution of face masks to all students, noting that there are parents who are unable to afford the masks.
He spoke when he was distributing masks to various school heads at Jomo Kenyatta Primary School in Msambweni.
Yesterday the crackdown on learners who have deserted school intensified with a high-powered Cabinet delegation visiting a rural primary school in Kajiado to assess the situation.
Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha led his seven colleagues to Oloolua Primary School in Ngong town, one of the biggest in the country, to assess the progress of re-opening and adherence to health protocols on Covid-19.
The Cabinet Secretaries were keen to establish whether all learners have reported back, as part of building synergies to ensure successful resumption of learning in public institutions.
At Oloolua, the CSs who included Fred Matiang’i (Interior), Amina Mohamed (Sports), Simon Chelugui (Labour), James Macharia (Transport), Keriako Tobiko (Environment), Adan Mohamed (East African Community) and Najib Balala (Tourism), encountered two girls in Classes Seven and Eight who had reported back to school while pregnant, signaling the government’s determination to track down and ensure every learner pregnant or otherwise, report back to school.
“We are going to schools and working with our teachers to ensure children are going to school and that this works well,” said Prof Magoha.
“You can see I have mobilised my colleagues, including the Chairman, Matiang’i, to come to this school.
It means it is special. It is among the heavily populated schools in the country with over 2,700 children.”
Magoha also said Sh19 billion capitation funds have already hit public secondary and primary schools’ accounts.