The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) has published eight Hardship areas that will officially be recognized by the Commission.
In the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) between it and teachers unions TSC said it will endeavor to promote members serving in ASAL (Arid Semi Arid Lands) and hard to staff areas holding administrative positions progressively until they attain grades that are commensurate to their respective positions.
The official ASAL and Hard to staff areas include;
1) Baringo North; Tiaty East, Tiaty West and Marigat sub-counties in Baringo County.
2) Garissa County
3) Suba and Mbita sub-counties in Homa Bay County
4) Isiolo County
5) Mashuuru, Loitoktok and Kajiado West sub-counties in Kajiado County
6) Kwale County
7) Magarini and Ganze in Kilifi County
8) Lamu County
9) Mandera County
10) Marsabit County
11)Mumoni, Mutito North and Tseikuru sub-counties in Kitui County
12) Narok South and Narok North sub-counties in Narok County
13) Samburu County
14) Taita Taveta County
15) Tana River County
16) Turkana County
17) Wajir County
18) West Pokot County