Ex-Moi Girls principal speaks on rape claims after resignation

Ex-Moi Girls principal speaks on rape claims after resignation

Former Moi Girls principal Jael Mureithi on Thursday responded to rape allegations at the school for the first time since her resignation. She gave a chronology of events that occurred to the National Assembly’s Committee on Education at Harambee Plaza.

“I took the student to hospital in the company of other girls who shared a room with her. I reported the matter at Kilimani police station and called her parents to meet the school administration,” Mureithi said. She said security and privacy of the school were compromised by the institution’s location.

“The school borders Kibera slum on the southern side, on the western side there were garages and Toi Market. On the eastern side, there are nice residential homes and on the northern side houses and a shopping centre. The school wall was knocked down during the 2017 post-election violence in Kibera,” she said.

Mureithi said a fire incident that also occurred at the school last year was also a security threat. On June 2, a Form Two student was allegedly raped at the school in the washroom by a knife-wielding attacker at 2 am. Two other attackers reportedly assaulted two other girls.

Thirty-two male teachers and workers at the school were asked to provide DNA samples for testing following the claims. After missing the deadline, the Government Chemist released the DNA results and cleared all the Moi Girls staff. Mureithi for early retired. Education Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed dissolved the school board.

error: Content is protected !!