The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) has allowed the intern teachers to apply for the advertised 892 posts for secondary schools and 2,053 posts for primary schools it announced yesterday despite the period they have served.
Early January the Commission posted a total of 1,995 intern teachers to schools.
The Commission had advertised 1,995 teacher internship posts in September 2021 where 1,038 posts went to primary schools and 957 posts to secondary schools.
TSC said the recruitment of the intern teachers was in support of the Governments initiative to develop a pool of young talents for the Kenyan Labour Market.
“TSC is determined to see that teachers are properly staffed. It is working with Ministry of Education to ensure enough teachers are provided by recruiting 5,000 teachers every year and also by engaging intern teachers,” reads a section of the policy.
TSC also extended internship for 4,005 teachers whose one year term ended in December 2021. TSC employs at least 6,000 intern teachers each year.
Interns attached to primary schools get a monthly stipend of Kshs. 15,000/= while those in secondary schools get Kshs. 20,000/=.
In the year 2020 recruitment of teachers on permanent terms TSC failed to automatically confirm intern teachers, instead it awarded them ten marks for serving under internship.
However in the new score sheet it released to guide recruitment of teachers in July 2021, TSC directed 30 marks to be awarded to applicants who will provide “evidence of internship service”.
There are still complains by some teachers on why intern teachers should be awarded 30 marks when some have served for less than two months under internship.
Some years ago TSC used to bar intern teachers from applying for permanent and pensionable jobs once under internship.
The teachers were only allowed to apply after finishing their contract. However this has changed.
Yesterday the Commission declared 2,945 vacancies to replace teachers exiting service through natural attrition i.e. 2,053 posts for primary schools and 892 posts for secondary schools.
REPLACEMENT OF PRIMARY SCHOOLTEACHERS EXITING SERVICE THROUGH NATURAL ATTRITION – JANUARY, 2022
The teachers recruited will serve on Permanent and Pensionable terms of service.
To qualify for recruitment, a candidate should meet the following basic requirements:
- Be a Kenyan citizen;
- Must be a holder of a P1 certificate in the case of primary schools and a minimum of a diploma in education in the case of secondary schools;
- Must be a registered teacher with Teachers Service Commission.
Mode of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications online through the Commission’s website, www.tsc.go.ke under ‘Careers’ or teachersonline.tsc.go.ke not later than 1st February, 2022.
Specific information on available vacancies per county/or schools is in the Commission’s website: www.tsc.go.ke.
General Information Please note that:
- The Teachers Service Commission Recruitment Guidelines 2021/2022 FY shall apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- In the case of primary schools, successful candidates will be posted to serve in any part of the country where vacancies exist and not necessarily in the county where they were recruited. iv) Shortlisted candidates will be required to produce original professional and academic certificates;
- Successful candidates must not fill more than one Application for Employment Forms. Filling of two or more Application for Employment Forms will lead to disqualification;
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously been employed by the Teachers Service Commission;
- Manually filled applications will not be accepted.
- For detailed information on available vacancies per county/or schools, applicants are advised to visit the TSC Website www.tsc.go.ke
ROADMAP FOR RECRUITMENT OF TEACHERS – JANUARY 2022
|1.||Advertise Vacant Posts||Wednesday 19th January, 2022|
|2.||Virtual Sensitization of Regional Directors||Friday 21st January,2022||1 Day|
|3.||Online Applications||Wednesday 19th January, 2022– Tuesday 1st February, 2022||14 Days|
|4.||Collection of Employment Forms by County Directors||Friday 28th, January, 2022||1 Day|
|5.||Generation and Sending of Merit Lists to County Directors||Wednesday 2nd February, 2022 – Thursday 3rd February, 2022||2 Days|
|6.||County Selection Process and Filling of Application for Employment Forms by Successful Candidates||Friday 11th February, 2022 – Thursday 17th February, 2022||5 Days|
|7||Concurrent vetting at the Headquarters||Friday 18th February, 2022 – Monday 21st February, 2022||2 Days|
|8||Vetting and Handling of Complaints at County Level||Tuesday 22nd February, 2022 – Friday 25th February, 2022||4 Days|
|9.||Receiving of Documents at the TSC Headquarters||Monday 28th February, 2022 – Thursday 3rd March, 2022||4 Days|
|10.||Capturing of Details of Successful|
Candidates, Opening of Files, Printing, Signing, Dispatching of Offer Letters & Initiation of Posting on Entry/Exit Reports Module.
|Friday 4th March, 2022 – Friday 25th March, 2022||15 Days|
|11.||Reporting of Teachers to schools||Monday 25th April, 2022|
|COUNTY DIRECTORS TO SUBMIT REPORTING STATUS BY 25TH MAY, 2022|