Education Chief Administrative Secretary (CAS), Zachary Kinuthia, has said teaachers who fail to register for Community Based Learning (CBL) will not get paid.
The Education CAS also said teachers who will interfere with the programme would be arrested and procsecuted.
“Teachers who will fail to register for the Community Based Learning will not get paid. Such teachers would be considered to have absconded,” said Zachary Kinuthia.
The Education CAS also said the Community Based Learning will not replace the main curriculum but will only be a way to keep children occupied.
“Community Based Learning will not replace the main curriculum. The government does not want to see children idle,” Kinuthia told the press at Kilifi after a meeting with education, security and health officers on Friday.
Recently while commenting on how the CBL will be conducted the Education CS said there is no syllabus for the Community Based Learning
“There is no syllabus for Community Based Learning the syllabus is in the teachers head,” Professor Magoha had said.
By Tuesday, TSC said at least 224,494 teachers had registered for the programme. Of these 155,176 are primary school teachers while 69,318 are secondary school teachers.
Mr Kinuthia advised teachers to look at the opportunity brought by the programme. He said the national government and county government are working hand in hand to ensure they provide water, soap and masks for teachers and learners.
TSC and Ministry of education have already issued guidelines for implementing the community based learning programme.
TSC highlighted some of the roles teachers will play on commencement of the program.
“Teachers will play a pivotal role to ensure the success of the programme. In this respect, teachers will be expected to carry out the following activities:•
1. Heads of institutions should be in school atleast once per week to supervise and monitor the programme.
2. Utilize the Nyumba Kumi programme to ensure that all learners participate in the programme.
3. Set up a face to face programme of engaging not more than 15 learners while strictly observing the Ministry of Health Guidelines and protocols. This engagement should be at least 4 Hours a day at no charge.
4. Organize the learners as much as possible according to their classes and/or age groups to ensure that the topics under discussion are relevant, suitable and appropriate to the group.
5. Sensitize and educate the learners on the guidelines and protocols issued by the Ministry of Health towards the containment of the Covid19 pandemic.
6. Identify in consultation with the officials from Ministry of Education and Ministry of Interior, suitable places like community halls or open spaces where conducive environment may be created to enable learning to take place within the community. Such places should be well arranged in strict adherence to the Guidelines and Protocols issued by the Ministry of Health.
7. Develop a daily activity based programme for engaging learners on life skills and values such as weeding, cultivating, grazing animals, storytelling, planting, debating life issues, hygiene and other related activities.
8. Provide learning activities in reading and numeracy and other subjects of interest to learners to keep them engaged.
9. Develop task-based activities for learners to undertake during the session or while with their parents at home.
10. Utilize available radio, television and online content within the reach of children to make learning interactive.
11. Assign reading and exercises to learners for home study.
12. Conduct remote daily or weekly follow up with students and parents.
13. Utilize local resources during learners’ engagement.
14. Offer guidance and counselling and psycho-social support to learners.
15. Monitor the progress and the status of learners and provide information to Curriculum Support Officers” said the teacher employer through a circular.
Will BOM teachers participate in the community based learnin?
No the guidelines are clear only teachers paid by TSC
What is the limit of BOM teachers in every school.?
Open schools for candidates!! What is so difficult to understand Mp Ngunjiris proposal. Cadidates will have the entire school to occupy. You are wasting our children’s precious time .
How do register for the cbl