RE-OPENING OF PUBLIC AND PRIVATE SCHOOLS
Pursuant to the Presidential Directive issued during the Twelfth (12th) Presidential Address to the Nation on the Coronavirus Pandemic on Monday, 28th September, 2020, and following broad-based education stakeholder consultations;
The Ministry of Education notifies the public that the progressive re-opening of schools will commence with Grade 4 (Competency Based Curriculum Class), Class 8 and Form 4 on Monday, 12th October, 2020.
The specifics of the same are as follows:
Revised 2020 School Calendar for Examination Candidates and Grade 4 Learners
All schools will be required to strictly adhere to the following COVID-19 protocols and guidelines:
1. Mandatory use of face masks, monitoring of the body temperature for all learners, staff and all other persons accessing the schools, handwashing and observance of high levels of hygiene.
Where there is no running water, schools will use sanitizers;
2. Although physical distancing will remain a challenge, it should not be used as a bottleneck to keep any child away from school;
3. All schools that had been used as quarantine centres have been fumigated under the supervision of the Ministry of Health in readiness for re-opening;
4. All schools that had been designated as quarantine centres but not used, need not be fumigated prior to their re-opening;
5. All schools have been linked to the nearest public health facility prior to being re-opened;
6. All teachers are encouraged to continuously provide psychosocial and spiritual support to learners and school support staff during the duration of the current pandemic; and
7. Boards of Management/ Principals/ Head-Teachers shall ensure full compliance with the guidelines and protocols issued by the Ministry of Health
Teachers are the light to society.