EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY (EAC) SCHOLARSHIPS
The Ministry has received communication on the above Scholarships.
The purpose of this letter is to request you to pass the information on the attached advertisement to interested persons to apply.
For: PRINCIPAL SECRETARY
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: TWO-YEAR FUNDED MASTERS’ OPPORTUNITY FOR ACADEMIC YEAR 2021/2022 (COHORT 3)
Inter University Council for East Africa (IUCEA) hereby invites suitably qualified nationals of the East African Community (EAC) to apply for cohort 3 of the KFW – funded Scholarships, to pursue Master’s studies in the EAC Partner State other than their own.
Opening date: 27th August, 2021
Closing date: 17th September, 2021 not later than 1700 hours, EAT
6 Business Science
Eligible applicants: Young nationals (aged below 35 years) of the EAC Partner states (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda)
Duration of the Scholarship: 2 years
(a) The students are required to apply to study in another EAC country (not their country of origin).
(b) Women and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. This Programme will include a minimum of 30% female students and a special consideration will be given to Burundian and South Sudanese female applicants.
Up to 63 scholarships are available in the 2021/2022 academic year.
The scholarship covers the following:
• Return economy air ticket between the candidate’s home and host countries;
• University tuition fees: payable directly to the university against official invoice;
• Stipend: EUR 380 per month to support living expenses including housing, food, utilities, local transportation and settlement expenses;
• Allowances for study materials and research: EUR1,500 one-off allowance;
• Medical insurance and
• Extracurricular events: at least one event per year.
The minimum requirements for qualification into the Programme are:
(a) Be a national of a partner state of East African Community;
(b) Be below 35 years of age at the time of application;
(c) Possess at least an equivalent of Upper Second-Class Honours or “Distinction” as applicable;
(d) Have obtained admission from a university in another country of the EAC Region other than their own;
(e) Submit a motivation letter in English (with not more than 500 words) as follows:
• Well written (grammatically and professionally)
• Demonstrates a convincing motivation for wanting to pursue the Master’s Programme chosen
• Adequately demonstrates the applicant’s foreseen professional engagement in EAC Integration agenda after completing the Master’s Programme
• Demonstrates how they expect to apply the acquired skills and knowledge from the Master’s Programme to contribute to the EAC Integration Agenda
• Demonstrates where they anticipate seeing themselves professionally and academically in 5 and l0 years
Note: This has to be one typed letter for each programme and converted to PDF.
The application process is two-fold and each MUST be completed separately
1. Application for admission to the University
Step 1: Identify the Programme and University of your choice
Step 2: Fill the application form for admission to the university of choice (this can be found on the university website). Ensure you pay the University application fee.
Step 3: Submit the completed university application form and its supporting documents to the university indicating that you intend to apply for the EAC Scholarship Programme.
(1) Candidates may apply to more than one University.
(2) Candidates may apply for more than one Programme; however, each Programme should have its own application form and attachments.
2. Application for the EAC Scholarship
Step 4: Register online for the EAC Scholarship at https://forms.gle/Nh36sAxUc4Vsn1ex8
Step 5: Download the Scholarship application form from the IUCEA website (www.iucea.org) under Scholarships and fill it.
Step 6: Submit the filled application form in step 5 and supporting documents in pdf format as one zipped folder electronically to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org indicating the subject line as; YOUR NAME, PROGRAMME APPLIED FOR AND UNIVERSITY e.g. Tsavo Simba, MBA at Adroit University
Supporting Documents are:
• A letter of motivation for applying for the scholarship;
• Signed Curriculum Vitae;
• Certified copies of all university degree certificates and transcripts;
• A copy of the university Application Form and its attachments;
• A recent passport photograph in colour of your full head and upper shoulders;
• Evidence of Nationality of a Partner State in the East African Community such as copy of National ldentity Card/Passport/Birth Certificate and
• Any other form of evidence required in the application form e.g. medical reports, photos and letters of reference.
1. Applicants with academic qualifications obtained from foreign institutions must be equated by the National Council/Commission for Higher Education in their respective countries.
2. Applicants with supporting documents (transcripts, certificates among others) in languages other than English are required to submit both the originals and copies translated to English language by an accredited language translations provider.