Below is the advert and official guidelines by Ministry of Education to secondary schools on 2021 East African Community Essay Writing Competition;
TO: ALL COUNTY DIRECTORS OF EDUCATION
(MAKE ENOUGH COPIES FOR ALL SCHOOLS IN YOUR COUNTY)
RE: 2021 EAST AFRICAN COMMUNITY SECONDARY SCHOOLS’ ESSAY WRITING COMPETITION
The East Afnican Community is pleased to announce the EAC Students’ Essay Writing Competition; 2021.
The competition is open to students in secondary schools (Form one to Form four) in the East African Community Partner States, i.e. Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and United Republic of Tanzania.
Participants in the essay competition will be required to write essays of between 1000 – 1500 words either in Kiswahli, French or English on the following topic:
- English Discuss the challenges that the COVID-19 Pandemic has posed to the education sector of the EAC Partner States. Provide recommendations on how these challenges can be addressed.
2. Kiswahili Jadili changamoto ambazo ugonjwa wa virusi vya KORONA (Uviko-19) umesababisha kwa sekta ya elimu katika Nchi Wanachama wa Jumuiya ya Afrika Mashariki. Toa mapendekezo ya jinsi ya kukabili changamoto hizo.
3. French Discutez des defirs qu’a pose la pandemie de COVID-19 aux systemes educatifs des Pays Partenaires de la Communaute Est Africaine. Formuler les recommendations sur la maniere de les relever.
The Essay Writing Competition will commence on 1st JULY 2021 and end on 15th AUGUST 2021.
Prizes will be given to winners in the following categories.
(a) Awards to Schools
The school from which the best essay originates is awarded school equipment worth US$ 1,500;
The school from which the first runner-up will originate is awarded school equipment worth US$ 1,200;
The school from which the second runner-up will originate is awarded school equipment worth US$ 750.
(b) Award to the winning students
The five best Essay writers will be awarded certificates of merit and are offered an all expense tour in East Africa.
Cash prizes will be awarded as follows:
a) 1st Prize – US$300
b) 2nd Prize – US$250
c) 3rd Prize – US$200
d) 4th Prize – uS$120
e) 5th Prize – US$100
Five other winners will be awarded the prize of US$75 in the following categories:
• Disability (Persons with special needs)
• Language variations (Kiswahii, French and English)
• Hard to reach areas
(i) Regional East African Community level
Regional prizes will be awarded during the Summit of EAC Heads of State as follows:
• Best Essay Writer will be awarded a certificate and a cash prize of US$750,
• The first runners-up will be awarded a certificate and cash prize of US$650.
• The second runners-up will be awarded a certificate and cash prize of US$600.
There will also be a tour to Tanzania after the Head of State Summit writing guidelines to students
• Do not type your work. It should be in your own original handwriting.
• Write legibly and neatly.
• Use a foolscap paper and leave the correct margin on the left and right-hand side of the paper.
• Number your pages (at the bottom of the papers). And write your name and index number at the top of each page
• Do thorough research and let it be evident in your work.
• You may provide the source of your research material through proper referencing/bibliography.
HARD COPY OF THE ESSAY SHOULD BE SUBMITTED THROUGH THE
SCHOOL PRINCIPAL AND FORWADED TO THE:
FIELD COORDINATION & CO-CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
P. 0. BOX 30040 – 00100
JOGOO HOUSE B HARAMBEE AVENUE,TAIFA ROAD
6TH FLOOR ROOM – NAIROBI
ATT: MS, JANET LANGAT, TEL. NO. 0723770754
Will try our best