To: All Head teachers
RE: CONDUCT OF LEARNING ASSESSMENTS FOR GRADES 1 TO 3 AND CLASSES 5 TO 7 UNDER THE KENYA GPE COVID-19 LEARNING CONTINUITY IN BASIC EDUCATION (LCBE) PROJECT
1.0 As you are aware, the Ministry of Education, through the Kenya National Examinations Council, ( KNEC) conducted school-based learning assessments at Grade 4 and Standard 8 in October, 2020 when schools partially reopened.
As indicated in my recent circular, schools can access their subject specific results for Standard 8 from the LCBE Portal.
Data processing for Grade 4 is progressing well despite delays in uploading of the scores by some of the schools.
2.0 Learning assessments for Grade 1 to 3 and Standard 5 to7 for learners following the age-based/ regular curriculum, and for Foundation and Intermediate levels for the learners following the stage-based/ SNE pathway will be administered from 18th to 22nd January 2021.
3.0 The overarching aim of the envisaged assessments is to inform on possible learning gaps among the aforementioned learners during the long closure of schools due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and suggest interventions to be put in place to address the gaps as learners progress through their second and third terms of their academic year.
4.0 The scope of the learning assessments will be as follows:
a) Standard 7 will be assessed in all the KCPE subjects.
b) Standard 5 and 6 will be assessed in English, Kiswahili, Mathematics and Science;
c) Grades 1 to 3 will be assessed in Fundamental Literacy and Numeracy (English Activities, Kiswahili Activities and Mathematics Activities).
d) For all subjects/learning areas, assessment items will be drawn from previous classes/grades and Term 1 of the current class/grade.
For instance, Standard 7 will be assessed from Standard 1 to 6, and Term 1 of Standard 7.
e) Learners following the Stage-based /SNE pathway will do assessments for Foundation and Intermediate level respectively.
5.0 As was the case with Grade 4 and Standard 8, administration of the learning assessments will follow the guidelines and assessment schedules provided by KNEC (these can be accessed from the LCBE portal).
It will also follow regulations upon which administration of assessments/ tests at school level is anchored.
Teachers will score and upload the scores onto the LCBE portal using the guidelines provided by KNEC.
The guidelines are contained in the administrative documents already uploaded onto the LCBE portal alongside the assessment tools.
6.0 The purpose of this communication, therefore, is to inform of you the assessments and request that your school makes appropriate preparations for the assessments.
7.0 Please note that the reliability and integrity of the outcome of these aseessments rests upon the Headteachers and teachers.
You are, therefore, called upon to ensure that learners are provided with a natural environment in order to guard against extraneous variables that could affect their performance.
Dr. Mercy G. Karogo, MBS
Ag. CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
KNEC LCBE ASSESSMENT GUIDE – STEP BY STEP
Learning Continuity in Basic Education Assessment (LCBE) Portal is a web-based system for managing the online delivery of assessment tools, registration of learners and uploading of assessment outcomes\scores by schools.
1.1 Accessing the LCBE portal: URL
Schools shall access the LCBE Portal using the web address: lcbe.knec.ac.ke or through the KNEC website/KNEC-Portal by clicking on the link, LCBE Portal
1.2 LOGIN page
Schools shall login using their KCPE\MLP user name and password
1. Click on Enter Username and Enter Password to key in the username and password respectively.
2. Click the login button to access the school home page.
2.0. HOME PAGE
Upon successful login, the window below with menu items shall open for schools to access various functions in the system.
2.1. Instructions on Conduct of Assessment
This is the first menu item containing all instructions on the conduct of the assessments.
1. Click on the button ‘Instructions on Conduct‘ to open the below window
2. Select and Click on the ‘View‘ or ‘Download‘ button to view and/or download the general or grade/standard/level specific instruction
2.2. Assessment Materials/Tools
This is the second menu item providing access to the assessment materials
2.2.1. Steps for downloading Assessment Materials/Tools
1. Click on the button ‘Assessment Materials/Tools‘ to open the below window with links to assessment tool categorized by grade/standard/level.
2. Select and click on the ‘Download Assessment Tools‘ button for the specific Grade/Standard /Level to open the window below and to download specific assessment materials/ tools
3. Select the appropriate tools for learners in your schools and Click on the ‘Download‘ button to save the assessment tool.
3.0. REGISTRATION OF LEARNERS
Schools shall have the option of registering learners Offline (recommended) or Online for each Grade/Standard/Level. Registration data for Grade 4 and Standard 8 is already preloaded in the system, hence schools shall only be allowed to edit for Grade 4. No amendment is allowed for Standard 8 learners.
Each registered learner shall be assigned a Unique Assessment Number upon online registration. Those registered offline will ONLY acquire the assessment number when the dully filled registration form/ file are successfully uploaded in the system.
3.1. To Register learners Offline/ Online
1. Click on the ‘Learner Registration‘ button to access the learner registration interface for the various Grades/Standards/Levels as shown below:
2. Select and click on the ‘Register‘ button for the Grade/Standard/Level of learners you want to register to open the window as shown in figure 7.
3. Select the preferred registration mode: Offline (Recommended) or Online.
3.1.1. To Register Learners Offline
1. Click on the ‘Learner Registration‘ button to access the learner registration interface for the various Grades/Standards/Levels.
2. Click on the ‘Register‘ button for the specific Grade/Standard/Level to view the window below then choose the Offline Registration mode to register learners offline in the specific Grade/Standard/Level
3. Click on the ‘Download‘ button under the Offline Registration to download and save the template for capturing the learners’ registration details offline, see the sample below.
4. Click on the ‘Enable Editing‘ button to activate the downloaded template (optional).
5. Key in learners registration details offline as per the school register. Upon filling all the learner’s registration details in the form, save the file.
6. Go back to LCBE Portal, log in, and move back to the registration page offline option.
7. Click on the ‘Browse‘ button to attach the dully filled file, that you have saved in step 5 above.
8. Click on the ‘Upload Excel Document‘ button to submit / post the file. Upon successful submission, learners will be randomly assigned Unique Assessment Numbers.
Duly filled uploaded registation form/ file shall be replaced automatically if uploaded for a second time or subsequent times.
Schools may View or Edit the uploaded Learners registration details online by clicking ‘View/Edit‘ button. Missing/ additional learners for the uploaded Grade/Standard/Level may be added online.
3.1.2 To Register Learners Online
1. Click on the ‘Register‘ button under the online registration as highlighted in the figure below.
2. Capture/key in each learner’s registration details as required in the specific Grade/ Standard/ Level then click on the ‘Save‘ button to submit each record. See figure 10 below.
3. Click on the ‘Edit‘ button for the specific learner to amend wrongly captured registration details then click on the ‘Save‘ button to update the changes/ record.
4.0. CAPTURING LEARNER’S OUTCOME/SCORE
Schools shall capture each learner’s outcomes/ scores for each Grades/ Standards/ Levels using Online or Offline scores capture form.
Select the fourth menu item ‘Assessment Outcomes/Scores‘ to open the window below
4.1. To capture Learners’ Outcomes/ Scores Offline
1. Click on the ‘Download‘ button on the offline panel as shown below to download the Offline Outcomes/Scores capture template for the specific Grade/Standard/Level.
2. Open the saved file to capture scores for learners in the specific Grade/Standard/Level accordingly, sample shown below
3. Once done, go back online and click on the ‘Upload Excel Document‘ button to submit/ post the dully filled file for the learners outcomes/score.
You may click on the ‘View/Edit Outcomes‘ button to view uploaded assessment outcomes/scores. Tick (√) the check box for a specific learner to enable capturing of missing or editing wrongly captured outcomes/ scores.
Duly filled uploaded captured outcomes/scores shall be replaced automatically if uploaded for a second time or more times.
4.2. To capture Learners’ Outcomes/ Scores Online
1. Click on the ‘Capture Outcomes‘ button from the online panel as highlighted below
2. The below window below opens for capture of the specific Grade/Standard/Level Outcome/Score.
3. Tick (√) the check box for the specific learner to activate the fields for capturing outcomes/scores and click the ‘Update‘ button to save/post.
4. To edit, click on ‘View/Edit Outcomes‘ button to view posted assessment outcomes/scores.
5. Tick (√) the check box for a specific learner to enable capturing of missing or editing wrongly captured outcomes/ scores.
6. .Edit as required.
7. Click the ‘Update‘ button to save/post edited outcomes/scores.
NB: Select “A” for the specific learning area where the learners in Grade 1 to 4, Foundation and Intermediate are absent.
Select “A” for the specific subject where the learners in Standard 5 to 8 are absent. Once the learner is declared absent, the field for the specific subject shall be disabled. In case of a wrong selection, unselect the “A” and Tick (√) the check box to activate the fields for capturing the scores.
5.0. LCBE REPORTS
Schools shall access various reports for the Grade/Standard/Level and also for each learner where need be.
To view available reports e.g. Nominal Roll, click on the Reports button, select and click on view report button.
Selected reports shall be generated for the school to download in their preferred formats to save or print.
6.0. LCBE QUESTIONNAIRES
Schools shall access questionnaires for head teachers and learners by clicking the specific questionnaires buttons e.g. Head Teacher Questionnaire and Learner Questionnaire buttons.
The questioners will be activated for the teachers and learners to provide required feedback online.