The Government has set aside Sh4.2 billion to run this year’s national examinations. Education Cabinet Secretary Amina Mohamed said so far, Sh3.3 billion had been paid towards exam administration.
The CS said the remaining Sh900 million would be paid by the end of the exams administration process, adding that the ministry had also rolled out an elaborate plan to ensure that candidates in conflict areas were catered for.
Appearing before the National Assembly’s Education committee on Tuesday, Amina said the ministry had mapped out 22 alternative centres where candidates hit by conflict could sit the tests in Nakuru County. Conflict regions She said despite calm returning to conflict regions in Narok County that had led to schools re-opening, 25 centres had been identified where exam candidates could be accommodated if there was another flare-up of conflict. She said all learners, including exam candidates, had been accounted for and the tests would be administered as planned.
On Monday, fresh violence was reported in Narok North. Previously, according to the ministry, 15 schools with 5,791 pupils, including 434 candidates, had been affected by conflict. In Narok South, 27 primary schools with an enrollment of 13,476 students, including 1,087 candidates, were affected. Six secondary schools with 1,183 students, including 198 candidates, also experienced learning disruptions.