8:4:4 and CBC COMPARISONS AND WHY CBC IS THE WAY TO GO
1) 8:4:4 is centred on results and academics that is summative examination oriented (KCPE and KCSE) mainly focusing of assessment of learning of knowledge description while CBC focus on demonstration of skills and competencies that is assessment for learning to get skills where none is considered a failure. Teachers work is to facilitate learning.
2) 8:4:4 is content focus while CBC is competencies focused
3) 8:4:4 is rigid and prescriptive curriculum with limited flexibility while CBC is flexible with opportunities for specialization.
4) 8:4:4 focus on summative assessment (KCPE and KCSE) and competition (high stakes examination) leading to exams malpractice by rogue principals and teachers since those who perform poorly are considered as failures irrespective of their unique talents while CBC balance between formative assessment and summative assessment and excellence and the unique talents of each one is appreciated.
None in CBC is considered as failure, focus is education for demonstration of knowledge with aim of production.
5) 8:4:4 focus on schooling while CBC emphasize on education with intentions of tapping talents for all learners to enable learners achieve their potential and better equipped to develop themselves and the nation where life values Respect, honest, integrity and responsibility are emphasized.
6) The core purpose of examination (KNEC exams) in 8:4:4 is to discriminate with intentions of placement of candidates into their right careers based on their cognitive skills through description of knowledge rather than demonstration of knowledge
CBC will place candidates into their right careers based on how they are able to demonstrate knowledge meaning only person with right attitude and skills will be in particular careers.
ASSESSMENT IN CBC
Major focus is assessment for learning using mainly formative examination unlike 8:4:4 which mainly focus on assessment of learning using summative examination (KCPE and KCSE) rather than assessment for learning
TYPES OF ASSESSMENTS IN CBC
1) Classroom assessment (C.A)
Prepared ,administered and scored by the teacher in school.
C.A from grade 4 to 6 (30%)
2) School Based Assessment (S.B.A)
Prepared, and uploaded by KNEC ,administered and scored by the teacher who upload scores to KNEC.
S.B.A from grade 4 to 6 (30%)
3) Summative Assessment (S.A)
Prepared, administered and scored by KNEC at the end of grade 6 KPSEA (40%)
CBC ASSESSMENTS YOU SHOULD KNOW
1) KEYA Kenya Early Year Assessment (Grade 3)
2) KPSEA Kenya Primary School Education Assessment (Grade 6)
3) KMYA Kenya Middle Year Assessment (Grade 9)
4) KCBE Kenya Certificate of Basic Education (Grade 12)
Kindly note that learners will be doing School Based Assessments (SBA) in Grade 4,5,7,8,10 and 11)