President Uhuru Kenyatta has made a few changes to senior ranks of the Executive with new appointments and re-alignments in various ministries.
President Kenyatta, according to a circular issued by Head of Public Services Joseph Kinyua on Wednesday evening, said the changes are meant to foster operational efficiency, institutionalize and expedite the implementation of various ground-breaking reforms, and introduce functional changes that shall make Ministries and State Departments more effective and better able to deliver on their mandates.
“The changes are also in recognition of the momentous task of setting the foundation for building back better, as Kenya rebounds from the socioeconomic shocks of the coronavirus pandemic,” read the circular.
Among the changes are the merger of the State Department for Mining with the State Department for Petroleum into a single State Department within the Ministry of Petroleum & Mining so as to promote the sustainable development of the extractives sector.
President Kenyatta appointed the following persons as Chief Administrative Secretaries to the various dockets as listed below:
- Eric Simiyu Wafukho – The National Treasury & Planning
- Jackson Musyoka Kalla – Ministry of Labour & Social Protection
- Lawrence Angolo Omuhaka – Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries & Cooperatives
- Japheth Ntiba Micheni – The State Law Office & Department of Justice
- David Osiany – Ministry of Industrialization, Trade & Enterprise Development
- Dr. Sara Ruto – Ministry of Education
- Zachary Ayieko – Ministry of Energy
- Alex Mburi Mwiru – Ministry of Lands & Physical Planning
The following Chief Administrative Secretaries were re-assigned to other dockets as below:
- Winnie Guchu- Ministry of Interior & Coordination of National Government
- Gideon Mungaro – Ministry of Devolution & The ASALs
- Lina Jebii Kilimo – Ministry of Public Service & Gender
- Hassan Noor Hassan – Ministry of Education
- Zack Kinuthia Mugure – Ministry of Sports, Culture &Heritage
- Simon Kachapin – Ministry of Sports, Culture & Heritage
The following Principal Secretaries were also re-assigned to the stated dockets:
- Julius Ouma Jwan – State Department for Early Learning & Basic Education
- Andrew Kamau – Ministry of Petroleum & Mining
- Francis Owino – State Department for Fisheries, Aquaculture & The Blue Economy
- Julius Korir – State Department for Devolution
- Margaret Mwakima – State Department for Vocational & Technical Training
- Peter Kaberia Kirimi – State Department for Industrialization
- 7. Dr. Richard Belio Kipsang – State Department for Regional & Northern Corridor Development
- Charles Talengo Sunkuli – State Department for Youth Affairs
Head of Public Services Joseph Kinyua indicated that the changes take effect immediately.