RE: HUMILIATION FACE BY TEACHERS UNDER AON MINET MEDICAL INSURANCE SCHEME
The Senate Standing Committee on Education is established under standing order 218(3) of the Senate Standing Orders.
The Committee is mandated to consider all matters related to education and training.
Standing order 4 7 (1) of the Senate Standing Orders provides that a Senator may make a Statement on a matter of county-wide, inter-county, national, regional or international concern or a matter of general topical concern.
Further, standing order 47 (3) provides that the Speaker may, where appropriate, refer a Statement made under standing order 47 (1) to the relevant Committee for consideration.
Pursuant to this provision, at the sitting of the Senate held on Wednesday, 30″ September, 2020, Sen Rose Nyamunga, MP, made a Statement on the matter of humiliation faced by teachers covered under AON Minet Kenya Medical Insurance Scheme.
In the Statement, the Senator raised the following issues-
1) That there is very low capitation on outpatient services, with some capped at as low as Kshs. 900/-, inclusive of doctors’ consultations, tests and drugs;
2) That there are restrictions on the hospitals they are allowed to visit for treatment, some of which are ill-equipped and lack qualified personnel;
3) That there are delays in approval, which sometimes can take up to one month putting the life of a teacher at risk;
4) That teachers face challenges lodging while lodging claims with AON Minet;
5) That there is limited access due to rigid operating hours in some health facilities; and
6) That there are limited dental services, where only tooth extraction is catered for by AON Minet.
The purpose of this letter is to invite you to a meeting of the Committee to address the aforementioned issues on Wednesday, 4″ November, 2020 at 9:30am.
The Meeting will be held on the Zoom online meeting platform, and a secure link will be shared with your office ahead of the sitting.
The Committee requests that you submit written responses to the aforementioned issues on or before Tuesday, 3″ November, 2020 by email, on the address firstname.lastname@example.org.
A copy of the Statement and an extract of the Hansard proceedings of the sitting are attached for your reference.
Mr. Humphrey Ringera, Research Officer (Cell phone: +254 722 985 682, email: email@example.com), is the Clerk to this Committee and the officer responsible for facilitating this matter.
J. M. NYEGENYE, CBS,
CLERK OF THE SENATE